For the December club trip we will be going to Big Rock Mtn
(AKA Nine Times Preserve) in SC. A relatively new area that offers up a variety
of grades on slabby granite in both trad and sport flavors. This is a good
winter destination, especially if sunny. It’s about 2:15 hrs. from the Indian
Once we arrive we will probably hit the main wall and then explore the area in smaller groups. Santa will bring the nicest or naughtiest climber the Sending Chain!
- Date: Saturday 12/5/20
- Time: 7am @ park/ride
- Park/ride: Indian Trail: 1560 Indian Trail Lilburn Rd Norcross
- Event Location: Big Rock Lake Rd, Pickens, SC. Look for “P” sign @ lot and is located just past Charles Towne Rd. DO NOT PARK ON THE ROAD IF PARKING IS FULL!!! DO NOT PULL DOWN CHARLES TOWNE RD! (Alternative Parking info below).
- Trail: From the main parking lot follow the trail that leads up. There is a split very soon after starting the trail. Right takes you towards X-wall, and Rowan’s Leap eventually to the Main Wall and some of the slabs.
- Mtn Project info: https://www.mountainproject.com/area/113573351/big-rock-mountain
- Alternate parking lot: If by chance the Main Parking lot is full, exit the neighborhood and drive to the intersection of Preston McDaniel Road and Nine Times Road. Here there is a gravel parking lot and a large grassy lot.
- Trail from Alternate lot: From the alternate parking lot, walk across E Preston McDaniel rd and follow the gravel road for 0.1 mile. Once you are beneath the power lines look for a trail sign on the right side of the road. Take the path to the right to begin the Big Rock Mtn Summit trail, which has green blaze.. Follow the obvious trail with green blazes uphill for 0.4 miles to reach an old logging road. Continue to follow the green blazes on the logging road for 0.2 miles. At the next trail sign, make a right turn to continue on the Big Rock Mtn Summit trail. Continue to follow the green blazes for 0.1 mile to reach the left shoulder of big rock, near the inversion wall. ~1.25 miles
Reminder: Friday night 12/4 is the Holiday Party check your email, FB, or the ACC website for details.