The Atlanta Climbing Club welcomes you to join us on an ice
climbing adventure. If you’re an experienced ice climber looking to
lock in a great trip this winter or someone who always wanted to try ice
climbing but never had the opportunity this is your trip. This trip is
guided by Scott Perkins, a long-time supporter of the ACC.
- Feb 17th, Wednesday: – fly in to Boston and drive to North Conway and pick up rental gear. That night we will be fitting the crampons to your boots and packing for the next day.
- Feb 18th, Thursday – AM beginner instruction, safety, and rope systems. PM top rope climbing and practical application
- Feb 19th, Friday – Building skills and ice screw intro and anchors
- Feb 20th, Saturday – advanced climbing for those that want more. If you have had your fill there is ski resort rear by or the town with ample things to do.
- Feb 21st, Sunday – big breakfast and head home.
Areas: Crawford notch, Frankenstein cliff, Mount Washington, Cathedral ledge. To get more info check the NH ice and mixed section of mountain project or get an ice climbers guide to northern New England by Rick Wilcox
Gear notes: You will need a helmet and a harness that will fit over your cold weather clothing. It is important to know that it will likely be extremely cold and appropriate clothing is extremely important. At a minimum you will need:
- 2 pair of heavy weight wool base layer,
- 1 set mid weight wool or fleece layer,
- 2 pair expedition weight socks,
- 2 pair athletic socks,
- 2 pair light weight gloves,
- 1 pair heavy weight waterproof wind proof gloves,
- a windproof water proof shell layer,
- a heavy weight parka,
- insulated pants,
- A soft-shell layer is also good to provide layering flexibility.
Your hands will thank you if you bring hand warmers.
International mountain equipment (ime-usa.com) if you need to rent technical crampons, ice axes and boots for 3 days it will cost about $255. Make reservations a head of time.
- Feb 17th: Delta ATL-BOS 12:58PM-3:27PM nonstop Basic economy $201
- Feb 21st: BOS-ATL 4:05 PM-7:08 PM nonstop
Total cost is $850 for club members and $950 for Non-members. Non-members must attend one club trip and one meeting prior to the trip. $250 will be due at time of registration. $500 due by January 1st and the balance will be due by January 15th. Registration will close January 15th.
- If you cancel before December 1st your payments will be refunded except $100
- If you cancel after January 1st your payment will be refunded except for $450.
- If you can’t make it you can transfer your slot to another member
Call Mike Cotti at 404-907-7953.